I was at a gas station today and when I came out a boy was parking his bike. It looked brand new. I said “nice bike did you just get it?” he said “NO, I have had it for a couple of years”. Wow… that is taking Pride in something you own.
The above photos are of my younger two boys rooms. I know most parents joke about their kid’s rooms looking so messy all the time.
But it got me thinking what we are teaching our kids about taking Pride in themselves and things they own.
What is Pride to you? I think of someone with Pride as Successful, Caring, Discipline, and Energetic. I think of the opposite of someone without Pride such as unsuccessful, uncaring, not discipline or lazy.
I think back when I was young and the lessons my parents taught me. I know I was far from perfect then and far from perfect now. But when I was young my Bikes are Cars where cleaned a lot. I tried my best in Sports and taking care of myself when I was young. I worked hard at my jobs. I felt I showed pride in those things.
Today I still feel I take pride in my family, in how our Cars looks, our House Looks, my businesses, my finances, my continuing education, my golf and bowling scores, my looks and yes I am on a diet. LOL
Ask yourself do you take pride in yourself and the things you do?
13 Questions I would ask kids:
1. How often have you washed your Bikes?
2. How often do you make your beds
3. How often do you clean your rooms
4. How good does your toys look? Like a Hoover board for example.
5. How often do you exercise?
6. How well do you eat balanced meals?
7. Do you read educational books daily?
8. Do you play no more than an hour a day on video games?
9. Do you take a shower daily without being told?
10. Do you get haircuts when needed?
11. Do you do your homework without being told and before playing video games?
12. Do you play outside games?
13. Do you spend time with your parents?
13 Questions I would ask adults:
1. How much time do you spend with your family daily?
2. Do you save money each week for retirement?
3. Do you live debt free?
4. Do you live within your means?
5. Do you eat healthy?
6. Do you exercise?
7. Do you maintain your cars well?
8. Do you maintain your house and yard well?
9. Do you continue furthering your education?
10. Do you have hobbies you enjoy weekly?
11. Do you work on your relationships?
12. If not retired do you work hard at your job? Arrive on time? Stay late if needed?
13. Do you care about your appearance?
Those are 13 questions kids to adults could ask themselves to see if they are taking pride. Again I am far from perfect. I know I need to work more at my family and other relationships, my businesses, my health and appearance, my finances, my golf and bowling game, reading more books and the list could go on depending who you ask. But I still feel pretty good of where we are at in life and our future looks good. I will always strive to keep improving in everything I do. My number one focus is my wife, kids and family. I try to schedule time for all of the above things each week.
If you are a parent I think you may agree that we love and care so much for our kids no matter what their ages are. When they are young we want them to be happy and healthy. We hope we give them a good start so they are successful in life and maybe not have as many challenges or heartaches that we had. My oldest is 28, then a 25 years old, 15 years old and my youngest is 11. I won’t ever stop worrying about them or caring for the rest of my life, it’s just part of being a parent. I know my Mom cares and worries about my Sister and myself daily also.
Let me know your thoughts about this blog and let me know of others you would like me to do in the future. I feel we can all learn from each other. That is why I am in the helping people people retire early, enjoy life more and be more successful. Also please see my Disclaimer page.
Don’t give up on your dreams; don’t let others talk you out of your dreams. Make your dreams happen. Make it happen today.
Let me know your thoughts or ideas. Also please join my Facebook and LinkedIn using my e-mail me at email@example.com. Follow me at twitter Bruce Mills at millsway_com. Pin me on Pinterest.com also. Thanks and Have a great night.
Thanks and Please Support or Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/millsway
Bruce of MillsWay.com