Our boys both have girlfriends this Valentines Day and they are trying to think of what they could do with the little bit of cash they have. This is a common thing for a lot of people. Some people let their heart do the thinking and not their Financial Freedom Mind which gets them in trouble after Valentine’s day.
We all want to show our significant others, family and friends how much we love them, but we don’t have to go into the Poor house doing it.
My Dad was a great example of this. My parents time together was a dream love story. They had what most people are looking for. They loved each other so much but had little money to spend showing their love. They didn’t believe in Debt or Credit Cards so if they didn’t have the money in their Checking Accounts or pockets then they find another way to celebrate Valentine’s day.
My Mom never worked because she was handicap so she showed her love to dad in simple ways from the following;
- She would cook him his favorite things he like to eat. Dad could never have enough of Mom’s cooking. I am blessed that Darlene is such a good cook and loves to cook also.
- She would write him notes on how much he meant to her.
- She was the queen at buying cards also. My Dad should have bought stock in Hallmark. LOL, we like the dollar cards for us and write our own personal notes in them.
My Dad showed his love in many ways that didn’t cost a lot of money. I don’t remember my Mom ever not feeling loved at Valentines day from my Dad. Here are some of the ways my Dad showed my Mom that he loved her:
- Dad would get my Mom a card also and write a special note in it. My dad was a quiet and shy so when he spoke it meant a lot to who he was talking with.
- My mom was hard to shop for so he would take her to the malls and let her browse the stores. She would get something on sale once in a while and it made her feel good and loved.
- My dad was present in the moment with my mom. He wasn’t on his cell phone or distracted. He gave her good quality time.
- My dad would take my mom square dancing and always take her to the bowling alley to watch his bowl with the guys. He took her everywhere.
- He would hold my moms’ hand and kiss her a lot. He told her often how much he loved her and how beautiful she was.
Of course, everyday can be Valentines day in your relationship but if you don’t stay with in your budget then it may take you longer to hit your Financial Freedom Goals.
As always, I am not giving you any Financial Advice and you should seek advice from your Professional Advisors to see what is best for your situation. See my Disclaimer at MillsWay.com. This is for entertainment only.
I know money and budgets aren’t very romantic to talk about this time of year but it is a very important topic. We don’t want to let our hearts do the shopping and then when the bills come in, we are all depressed. Plus, if our boys go to big on Valentines day their girlfriends may expect that every year in the future. LOL
Let’s talk about more ways to show you care for others and stay within your budget. I have heard of people spending thousands of dollars on Valentine’s day. Ouch… Here are some ideas to show you care but not go broke;
- Play some romantic music in the back ground and spend the night looking through old photos or watch old videos of your past times together.
- Go for a walk together. Hold hands and tell each other what they mean to you.
- Get them a nice card and list the reasons why they mean so much to you.
- Each of you get dressed up and have a candle light dinner at home with some nice romantic music playing in the back ground.
- Make their favorite meal and clean up after the dinner.
- Make them a coupon book with things like for Free Back Rubs to Make you Cookies.
- Surprise them at work for a lunch date.
- Leave notes around the house and their car about how much you love them.
- Get them a cute loveable stuffed animal.
- Hide little gifts like candy, stuffed animal or other items around the house and make it a game to find them.
Those are a few ideas on low-cost ideas to show someone how special they are to you. Let me know of ways that you feel special by your loved one that doesn’t cost a lot of money.
I know when I was single after I got divorced back in 2001 Valentines days or other holidays were tough at times. Especially if my kids weren’t with me it could be lonely.
If you aren’t in a relationship why not do something fun with your friends that are also not in a relationship with anyone. Maybe have your own meal together and play board games.
Even better if you have a lot of friends not in a relationship at Valentines time why not have a singles party at your house. Everyone could bring some food to share and their own drinks. Then everyone could have fun together and not be home alone and sad.
We want our boys to have loving relationships and live a happy life. But we know in the real world there may be times that they may be single at Valentines day so we wanted them to know that it is ok also. If they are in a relationship, we wanted to give them ideas on staying within a budget and not to go into debt for the day.
We also want to give our boys the best chance to have their money last them thru their retirement years and have them reach their Financial Freedom goals.
Here are some positive quotes I like;
“Get your Money to Work for You… As hard as You Work for it.” By Napoleon Hill
“1. Make Money. 2. Use the Money to Make More Money. 3. Repeat the Process.” By Warren Buffett
“There is no way to happiness; happiness is the Path.” By Buddha
“Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life” by Wayne W. Dyer
Let me know your thoughts about this blog and let me know of others you would like me to do in the future. I feel we can all learn from each other. That is why I am in the helping people retire early, enjoy life more and be more successful. Also, please see my Disclaimer page.
Don’t give up on your dreams; don’t let others talk you out of your dreams. Make your dreams happen. Make it happen today.
Visit my Podcast at www.Live4.Club on Anchor.fm, Spotify, Pocket Casts, Breaker Audio, Google Podcasts, Radio Public, I-tunes, Apple Podcast and more. If you would like to be a guest on my Podcast drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Text me at 480-389-6224
Thanks, and Have a great night. Please Support or Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/millsway for access to all my blogs.
#financial freedom #financial independence #FIRE #Hustle #Live4 #podcast #millsway